Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Tunes I Like

Monday, September 29, 2008

Tunes I Like

It would be nearly impossible to use only my own music in my work with children; besides, I wouldn't want to! There are so many great singers and songwriters who are producing top-notch children's songs - it would be a waste not to take advantage of such resources. When I'm looking for fresh material, iTunes and Amazon are it for discovering what's new and popular. Here are some of the gems I've discovered over the last few years.

1. Elizabeth Mitchell
Elizabeth is a fairly new discovery. She has a sweet, soothing voice and you'll recognize many of her songs. Favorites: Three is a Magic Number, So Glad I'm Here, You Are My Sunshine

2. Genevieve Jereb
This singer/songwriter is also an occupational therapist, and her Australian accent adds such charm to her already wonderful tunes. Favorites: I Am Me, Jellybeans, A-La-La-La-La-La- La- Le-Luia

3. Greg & Steve
If you're looking for a great movement song, these are your guys. All of their songs are fun, educational, and catchy. Favorites: Can't Sit Still, The Number Rock, Popcorn

4. Jack Hartmann
I saw him at a conference last spring, and not only is he full of energy, but kids love his music. And there are tons of songs to choose from. Favorites: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Birthdays, Powwow

5. Jim Gill
Another great resource for movement tunes. His songs are the perfect combination of silly and smart. Favorites: Alabama Mississippi, Toe Leg Knee, Rhythm in My Fingers, My Ups and Downs

6. Laurie Berkner
She is one of the very first songwriters who really caught my eye...er, ear, and she remains my go-to source for songs I know my kids will love. Favorites: Buzz Buzz, Walk Along the River, The Story of My Feelings, Mahalo, Shakin' Down the Sugar

7. Mr. Heath
If total silliness is what you're looking for, Mr. Heath is your answer. My students have been singing Spring Fever through three seasons! Favorites: Doo Wocka Doo, Spring Fever, Red Means Stop

These are just a few of the many, many music makers I adore. If you'd like more suggestions, just ask!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At September 30, 2008 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Lindsey Roth Culli said...

hey rach! nice blog! Personally, I still love Raffi but also you should check out "Slugs & Bugs & Lullabies" by Randall Goodgame & Andrew Peterson. My nieces, nephews and cousins LOVE it. Especially the "bear song" and the "piggy song."

it's available at www.randallgoodgame.com or on itunes.

Anyway, nice blog! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home