Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Music that Motivates

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Music that Motivates

Believe it or not, I'm one of those crazy people that gets up and goes to the gym at 5 am. It sounds completely awful, I know; but I love getting a jump start on my day and having my workout finished before most people are even out of bed. Besides a really loud alarm clock placed strategically out of my reach, there is only one thing that keeps me going every day: music.

I have filled my little iPod shuffle with songs that I know will keep me moving from the second I step onto the treadmill, through all of my strength training reps, to my cardio cool-down at the end. A few current favorites are the Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson, All American Rejects, and Kelly Clarkson.

Music is a great way to motivate my students and keep them moving, as well. As a music therapist, I always forget how useful recorded music can be - in fact, I was just having this conversation with another music therapist recently. I have been trying to use it to my advantage more lately, and I am being reminded that it can really give my students the push to do their work and meet their goals.

So here is a little list of the songs on my iPod that my students are digging, and that they will work extra hard to hear at the end of their session:

The Jungle Book - "Bare Necessities"
High School Musical - "We're All in This Together"
High School Musical 2 - "You are the Music in Me"
Laurie Berkner Band - "Bumblebee (Buzz Buzz)"
Alvin & the Chipmunks - "Witch Doctor"
Smashmouth - "All Star"
Jonas Brothers - "Live to Party"
The Lion King - "Hakuna Matata"
Justin Roberts - "Hey Hippopotamus"
Lou Bega - "Disney Mambo # 5"

This is just a short list of the many songs that I find myself humming after a long day of music therapy! Are there any others you can add to the list? If so, I'd love to hear them.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM , Blogger love.... said...

This is really awesome!

 
At September 22, 2009 at 10:05 AM , Blogger moon15 said...

yeah..I would like to add to that:

dear you to move>>>>by switchfoot
I get knocked down>>>>by Tubthumping

 
At September 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM , Blogger moon15 said...

I would like to add to that:

dear to move by switchfoot
I get knocked down by by Tubthumping

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home