Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Friday Fave: Jack Johnson's "Sing Alongs & Lullabies"

Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Fave: Jack Johnson's "Sing Alongs & Lullabies"

Though Jack Johnson's album Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies is almost three years old, it still remains one of my very favorites both in and out of the classroom. One of my internship supervisors, Lisa, gave me a copy of the CD when it first came out, and it quickly became a go-to resource for my students. The songs are happy, mostly upbeat, and therefore perfect for movement activities such as stretching and scarves.

The songs served as the soundtrack to the children's movie Curious George, but that doesn't mean that adults don't enjoy them, too. "With My Own Two Hands" is a cover of Ben Harper's, and he duets with Jack on the album. I was caught off guard last year when I heard the song "We're Going to Be Friends" on one of my favorite tv shows, House. "Upside Down" can be heard on mainstream radio, and it is a song that I perform in my acoustic set. Watch the cute music video below:




It just goes to show that the line between children's and adult music can be blurred. I see this everyday in the reactions of parents, teachers, and staff when I sing a song that is just as much fun for them as it is for the kids. I do this on purpose as much as possible; I want every music therapy session to be fulfilling for everyone in the room. Though the goals obviously are designed for my students, why not include the adults who care for them?

That's all I have for today. Enjoy your Friday, and the weekend as well. Tomorrow is my husband's 26th birthday, and I'm not far behind him!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home