Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

I really enjoy blogging about the resources I use most often, especially books, and apparently, people enjoy reading about them! My two top posts in terms of hits (usually as a result of Google searches) are I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie and Is Your Mama a Llama?, which just happen to be two of my favorite books.

I have another book to add to the vault...one you've probably read or heard time and again. This particular version of There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly is colorfully illustrated by Pam Adams and is from the Books with Holes series, published by Child's Play International. You can find a link to the book on Amazon here. I love that this book has thick (but not overly so) pages and is rather large - it gets the attention of my student and keeps it for the duration of the story.

Each phrase in the book ends with "perhaps she'll die". I don't feel that this is appropriate for young children (though it is the traditional verse), so I always substitute "cry" for "die".

This book is a wonderful tool for animal and color identification, memorization skills, attention to task, reading sight words, and more. It is effective because the illustrations are visually stimulating, and the story is just plain fun :)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 17, 2009 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Amanda Ellis, MT-BC said...

Hey Rachel!
I love this book too! I'll have to borrow your idea of the "I guess she'll cry" part. I've just repeated the line, "I don't know why" for years but I like the cry line better. :) Hope you have a great day!
Amanda

 
At June 17, 2009 at 6:33 AM , Anonymous TheCrazyMusicLady said...

Hands down, that is the children's book I love the most. I'm going to have to order one!

 
At June 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM , Blogger John Lawrence MMT, MTA said...

Being from Canada, I imagine there might be jokes about the snow (365 days of the year) after my book recommendation but here goes!. One of my favorite books for children is: "Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow". It has a a great mixture of suspense, fantasy, typical situations that children can relate to, and the repetitive line "Jillian Jiggs, say it's not true..." that can be put to a simple melody.

 
At June 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Sandie-Matthew's Mom said...

Thank you, Rachel, for this great song! When I was a kid I loved the
"There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" book. It's a book I have tried to get my child to look at but the book has not sparked his interest. However, when you did a previous version of the song about the Old Lady who Swallowed a Pie, he instantly loved that song. We had it put on a custom CD from you. :) I just played him this version and he loves it. He was singing (in his own way) along with you during the song. :) Thanks so much. This great song is definitely going to end up on his next custom CD and maybe I can even get him interested in the book that goes along with it now. :)

Sandie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home