Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Friday Fave: Model Me Kids

Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Fave: Model Me Kids

Today's edition of "Friday Faves" is brought to you by Twitter, because that is how I discovered Model Me Kids. Little did I know that many of my students already knew all about Model Me Kids, and used their videos at home.

From their website:

Model Me Kids® is dedicated to producing high quality teaching tools for children, adolescents, and teenagers with Autism, Aspergers, PDD-NOS, Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NVLD or NLD), and developmental delays. The videos are used by parents, teachers, and therapists. They are also helpful for teaching children with developmental disabilities such as Down Syndrome and may be used with typically developing younger children. Model Me Kids® videos demonstrate social skills by modeling peer behavior at school, on a playdate, at a birthday party, on the playground, at a library, restaurant, and more. Real children model and narrate each skill. DVDs for ages 2-17.

Shortly after following Model Me Kids on Twitter, I received an email from Sue Klein, MMK's founder and president. She had visited Listen & Learn and thought my songwriting style might be a good match for a video they were currently producing. I loved the idea, and immediately called her to tell her so. Creating the music for Model Me Faces & Emotions™ became one of my summer projects, and it was so much fun! But the best part was receiving my copy of the finished DVD just last week. Actually, I take that back...the VERY best part was having my students receive their copies only to discover my picture on the back cover and hear my familiar voice narrating the video :)

That's me!

Model Me Kids currently offers 8 DVDs: Model Me Faces & Emotions, Time for School, Time for a Playdate, I Can Do It!, Model Me Conversation Cues, Model Me Friendship, Model Me Tips & Tricks, and Model Me Confidence. You can view samples on their website.

Teaching social skills is a huge focus for the students with whom I work, which made this collaboration truly exciting. If you work with or have children (whether they have autism, another developmental disability, or are typically developing) and want to learn more about Model Me Kids, you can find them on Facebook, Twitter, and their website.

So that does it for today's Friday Fave. This week has flown by, and I am in disbelief that it is already time for another weekend. I have sheet music to edit, two presentations to prepare, articles to write, and songs to record, but somewhere between that I am going to squeeze in some time with friends. What are your weekend plans?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM , Anonymous Sarah said...

This is a remarkable effort Rachel! Kudos!

 
At October 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Sandie-Matthew's Mom said...

I am SO excited for you, Rachel!!

Thank you for sharing "Model Me Kids" and making me aware of this company and what they offer to help children with disabilities learn social skills. After viewing the sample videos and hearing YOUR familiar and very pretty voice singing the songs, I will be ordering a copy of "Model Me Faces & Emotions" for my own child, Matthew, who has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum. I can't wait to get the DVD and play it for my child. :)

Sandie

 
At October 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Rachel Rambach said...

Hi Sandie! Thank you :) Matthew will absolutely love the DVD. What I like is that it's real kids doing everyday things; it really is a model for daily life. Let me know what you and Matthew think after you get your DVD!

Rachel

 
At October 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Mikaela said...

Congratulations, Rachel! That is an exciting achievement. Did you make time for sleep in your weekend plans? ;-)
I'm going to an Oregon Symphony Dress Rehearsal tomorrow with a friend...cleaning house...baking cookies...church...sleep...and before I know it, Monday will hit!

 
At November 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Silly Bus said...

Interesting Post!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home