Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: 31 Hours

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

31 Hours

Starting tonight and going through Saturday afternoon, my local radio station is hosting their 4th annual radiothon to benefit the Children's Miracle Network and St. John's Children's Hospital. They will be broadcasting live from the lobby of the hospital, where there will be volunteers manning the phones and families who have been helped by the Children's Miracle Network stopping by. I'm one of those volunteers, and looking forward to my 3-hour shift on Saturday afternoon as the radiothon winds to a close.

But I was able to donate my time in another way, as well. Each year during the radiothon, they air personal stories from the people who have required services through the Children's Miracle Network and the hospital. Most of them are hard to hear, and very emotional. But our community needs to hear what kind of care is available should one of their children fall under dire circumstances. The stories are set to music, usually a popular song whose mood suits the gravity of the story.

This year I asked if there was any way I could contribute musically to the cause, and together we came up with the idea to write songs based on the stories themselves. So I sat in as the families told their stories, during which time I got ideas for the corresponding songs. Out of the four stories I heard, I chose two to set to music. They will be played during the radiothon, and I only hope that the families feel that their songs do their stories justice.

That's the coolest part of being a music therapist, in my opinion. Not only can you work directly with a child, adult, or group of people, but there are infinite ways to use music therapeutically, reaching a wide audience at the same time. This point was driven home for me at the national conference, which I will writing more about in the coming days.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At November 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM , Anonymous Katie Holt said...

Rachel,
We heard our story this morning on the radio and were sobbing in our living room. You went beyond doing our story justice. Thank you so much for donating your time to such a wonderful cause. Words cannot express how we felt listening to the song you wrote for our story. You will be added to our list of people we will never forget - the people who have played a part in the life of our little miracle boy.
Thanks again for all you do! Gene, Katie & Sam Holt

 
At November 19, 2009 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Rachel Rambach said...

Hi Katie, Gene, and Sam,

I was so touched by your story, and completely honored to write a song about it. I can't tell you how much your words mean to me, because my mission in life really is to touch people through music. Your story is such an inspiration to others, a message of hope, and the song was easy to write because of that. Thank YOU for taking the time to write, and I wish the three of you the best in life! You deserve it!

Rachel :)

 
At November 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM , Anonymous mom said...

The most amazing thing about the song Rachel is how Sam's story parallels your entrance into the world.....I don't know if you even put that together when you were writing the song but the minute I heard Katie's story I had immediate flashbacks to when you went into fetal distress and they couldn't get your heart rate to stabilize. Just like Katie as I was being put under I heard a great deal of commotion and agitated medical staff, including my doctor who was rushing to do a C-section to save your life. Now you were able to tell Sam's story through your music and you were really telling your story at the same time! Love you! mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home