Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Friday Fave: iPhone Apps

Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Fave: iPhone Apps

TGIF!  This week has absolutely flown, but luckily it has been an extremely productive one for me.  I've wrapped up several work-intensive projects, and am very much looking forward to relaxing a bit this weekend.  I am planning to spend some quality time with iMovie, creating a few videos just for Listen & Learn.  But playing with technology is one of my favorite hobbies, so I don't even classify that as work :)

Speaking of technology...well, I do that a lot on this blog, don't I?  So it should come as no surprise to you that today's Friday Fave is based on one of my absolute favorites pieces of technology: the iPhone.  I've expressed my love for it here a time or two, but today I want to focus on some of the apps that I use on a daily basis.
Anyone who knows me is aware that I am a bit of a Facebook addict!  Now that I have an iPhone, I can update my status, post pictures, and maintain my page on the go with the free Facebook app.  The latest update now sends push notifications, making it even easier to stay connected (not to mention, feeds the addiction).
Another social media app I rely on is Tweetdeck (again, it's free).  This app allows me to tweet from either my personal or work-related twitter account, in addition to reading the latest tweets of the people I follow.  It even supports Twitter lists now!  I have one list devoted just to music therapy-related Twitter accounts.
Even though I've had months and months of practice, I am still not the best iPhone typist.  My fingers just can't seem to adapt to that keyboard...which is why the free Google voice app comes in so handy.  When I want to search for something, I just speak into the mic.  It is usually pretty accurate in picking up my search term, and seconds later, I have a list of results from which to choose.
My guitar goes everywhere with me, but sometimes I forget to grab my tuner, too.  Tuning by ear is fine if I have an accurate starting pitch, but for those times that I don't, I rely on the Cleartune chromatic tuner app.  It is a little pricey ($3.99) but definitely worth it if you tote your guitar frequently.


When I have a few minutes of free time between sessions and lessons, I almost always pull out my iPhone.  My new favorite time-passer is the Scrabble app, which is completely worth the $4.99 price tag.  You can play the computer, connect to another iPhone through Wi-Fi, or even find an opponent via Facebook.  I never get tired of this game, and the fact that it makes me think is an added bonus.

I could probably list 20 more apps that I love, but I'll stop here.  How about you, fellow iPhone users?  What are your favorite apps?  I am always looking for recommendations, so send them my way.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the apps! I actually have the iPod touch, but the iPhone is my next technology jump. I love QuickOffice because after each session, I can document with 1's and 0's right there on an Excel sheet I designed. Then it's compatible with my computer, so I just plug it in, and boom - Reports for my clients! Another favorite is Remote... So, when my computer is hooked up in my back office to the big speakers, I can control the music selection and volume on my computer library remotely with my iPod touch :) LOVE that one.

 
At February 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Adelaide Dupont said...

Have you ever thought of tinkering with the IPhone so you could make your own application for your students and others?

It could be to do with music or with blogging.

Cleartune looks like a great application.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home