Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Don't Interrupt!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Don't Interrupt!

I hope my husband isn't reading this, because I'm about to let you in on one of his bad habits: interrupting.  Of course, he doesn't do it excessively or on purpose; he just hasn't quite mastered the art of waiting his turn when there's something he's really excited to share :)

He has a lot in common with many children I know.  Conversational skills are a frequent objective in my music therapy sessions, from initiating a dialogue, to giving appropriate responses, to using good manners (such as avoiding interruption).  "Don't Interrupt" is actually a custom-written song, but I've since had plenty of opportunities to use it with my own students.

<a href="http://listenandlearn.bandcamp.com/track/dont-interrupt">Don't Interrupt by Listen &amp; Learn Music</a>

When you’re talking to someone,
You should wait until they’re done
With what they have to say,
Before you take your turn
This is something you should learn,
Interrupting is not the way

To have a conversation.
You need to be polite.
Don’t interrupt, just wait to talk
Until they’re done, when the time is right.

Interrupting isn’t nice,
Please take this good advice,
And listen, so that you know
When the other person’s through
With what they had to say to you.
So that it’s your turn to go

When you have a conversation,
You need to be polite.
Don’t interrupt, just wait to talk
Until they’re done, when the time is right.

I just may start singing this song around the house...maybe Zach will get the hint!  I kid, I kid.  I really only notice it when he's talking shop (insurance) or sports, both of which are conversations I try to avoid at all costs.

Well another week is upon us, which means I'd better wrap this up and get to work.  In addition to music therapy sessions and lessons, I have songs to transcribe, an IAMT meeting to finish planning, and a week in the recording studio for which to prepare.  Hello, March Madness!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Pissed said...

oh my god I need this song for my BOSS

 
At March 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Amanda Ellis, MT-BC said...

Nice! I'll have to share with you what they teach at my son's school to keep students from interrupting and repeating the teachers name over and over. :)

 
At March 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Pissed said...

does one receive lyrics and chords to all of your songs with the paid membership? because this is another one I have to have. With the population I work with, the songs you post that are applicable for my crew are few and far between, but you've been hitting some winners lately and I feel like asking for the chords is stealing. (btw, feelings in my heart was a BIG WINNER. we wrote a new verse for embarassed!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home