Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Sunday Singalong: Mia's Composition

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Singalong: Mia's Composition


This week's "Sunday Sing-Along" is more aptly titled a "Play-Along" since there isn't actually any singing involved. But anytime I have a chance to showcase my students' creativity, I'll take it! Mia came to her lesson this past week bursting with excitement; she had composed this tune over the summer break and couldn't wait to share it with me.

As important as it is for my students to learn the songs in their lesson books and do their theory exercises, I think it is equally important for them to create, whether it is through songwriting, improvisation, or otherwise.  I have one student who comes to almost every single lesson with an original song, transcribed on notebook paper on handwritten staves, and another who has written not one, but two songs about bugs (her favorite subject). 

Mia wants to add to her composition, and we're turned it into somewhat of a summer project.  Once the music is finished, we're going to use Sibelius to create sheet music (a hidden theory lesson), Mia is designing cover art to be scanned, and then we'll print the final product out to look like a "real" song, as she says. 

How do you encourage your own students' creativity?  Fill me in...I'm always looking for new ways to do so!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 20, 2010 at 2:53 PM , Blogger sunflowr0803 said...

That was adorable! Great job, Mia! Keep up the hard work. :)

 
At June 21, 2010 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Rachel Rambach said...

She is one of my hardest workers, and just a wonderful little girl all around! I'll pass on the compliment :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home