Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin


I incorporate books into my music therapy sessions almost on a daily basis.  Adding a visual component to any activity, intervention or song always helps grab and keep attention, and there are so many goals and objectives that can be addressed with an appropriate book.  I started my collection during my internship, and now have an entire bin full of them.

The book Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin is one that I picked up a couple of years ago, but have just recently rediscovered amongst my library.  It's funny how you can forget the great resources you have at your very own disposal!  A Caldecott Honor book, this one is currently at the top of my list for several reasons:
  • The pictures are bright, beautiful, and detailed.  Talk about attention grabbers!
  • It's all about orchestral instruments and the sounds they make, which means lots of fun words.
  • It provides an opportunity for counting.  On each page, a new instrument is introduced, and all of the other instruments are pictured, as well.
  • The words were meant to be sung.  It just so happens that the entire book fits perfectly to the tune "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush".
I'm planning to make audio clips of each instrument to play as they are introduced throughout the book, just to give my students an idea of how they really sound.  It never hurts to throw in a little music appreciation along with the other goals that we're addressing.

What children's books are on your shelf?  I'm always looking for new ones to add to my collection, so any and all suggestions are much appreciated!  You can see some more of my favorites here (just click on "Children's Books" in the top-left category box).

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM , Blogger jac said...

We have used Zin Zin Zin for a number of years and have done just that...recorded examples of each instrument as well as provide large color photos of the instrument as the example is played. It is a great way to incorporate literacy into our music therapy sessions. I work in a public school with students ages 5-21 with a wide range of developmental disabilities. Thanks for other suggestions. Glad to know we are on the same track.
Jacueline Edwards, MA, MT-BC, NMT

 
At March 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Rissa Young said...

I love musical story time! In my internship, we had a whole group devoted to musical stories that the school librarian ran with us (she read and we provided accompaniment).

I'm always on the prowl and also have a full bin of books.

I work with quite a few adults, so I'm always looking for musical stories that adults and children will enjoy! Some of my favorites are John Denver (Sunshine on My Shoulders; Country Roads), This Land is Your Land, Puff the Magic Dragon. My kids love Over in the Meadow/Over in the Ocean, The "There was an Old Lady" series (just bought "There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Chick" for Easter/Spring!) and the "If You Give a Mouse a ______" series.

Friday I bought "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at Target. Words can't begin to describe how amazing it is. The illustrations are amazing and Judy Collins' rendition is breathtaking. Friday was rainy and this book was perfect. The children (and adults) loved it, and the calm that it brought was a sight to behold! You must make a trip to Target and get this (or order it online if they don't have it!)

 
At April 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog is well-designed and well-written. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home