Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Pajamas for Your Ears

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pajamas for Your Ears

When I was a freshman in college, I fell asleep every night listening to Jane Monheit's aptly titled album, "Come Dream With Me". I found it really soothing, and it drowned out any noise created by my roommate in our very small dorm room. The only downside was the discomfort caused by the headphones on my ears, which forced me to lay on my back (I am a side-sleeper).

So when I came across sleepphones, which are headphones specifically designed for use in bed at night, I was intrigued. These headphones are neither bulky nor made of hard plastic; rather, they are adjustable and made of a soft fleece material that fits around the head, and the speakers and wire can be positioned so that they don't cause any discomfort. Take a look:

While I was definitely interested in having my own pair, another thought came to mind: these would be perfect for children with autism and other sensory issues, who enjoy music and find it soothing but are averse to wearing traditional headphones. After doing some further investigation (i.e. asking the company's owner), I found that indeed, sleepphones are often used for this purpose. He even sent some feedback from parents of children with autism who have had success with the sleepphones:


"Love your product, by the way. My autistic son has worn out the last order. He is very sensitive to sounds and these have made his nights much more peaceful. Thank you for this great invention."
- Joan S., CA

"THANK YOU! They are awesome! My daughter no longer gets out of bed multiple times at night. She gets to sleep easily now. Sleepphones = stressless nights."
- Todd, PA

The headphones can be plugged into any mp3 or CD player, which is perfect since I charge my iPod on my nightstand every night. My own pair is on its way, so I will give my full review once it arrives. But I have a feeling that not only will it be effective in drowning out "Sportscenter" (my husband's favorite bedtime show), but it might also be a useful tool in addressing sleep issues for children with and without disabilities. You can learn more about sleephone at their website.

What are your thoughts? Have you experimented with headphones of any kind with your children, and what has the outcome been?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At September 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is stupendous !
Could you please play the song " All Night
Dancing " ( by Lipps, Inc. ) for your therapeutic uses ?
I am Armin. Your follower.

 
At September 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I used to sleep with music to 'cause it just helps us to fall asleep but, it's not necesarly healthy thought.
Just simple physics show us that when there is energy flowing through the wire there is also an electromagnetical wave. Just keep it in mind next time you will go to sleep with headphones^^

 
At September 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM , Blogger Rand Launer said...

I have a pillow speaker under the pillow. Just a little disc.
No one else can hear it. No wires or things on the head.

Not "also". The wave is the energy wave and it's weak and harmless.
Foolishness.

 
At September 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those do sound like a good idea for kids with autism or other disorders where sound can be an issue. I will be printing this out and showing the sped teacher at the school I am at.

Thanks!

 
At September 22, 2009 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Mikaela said...

Neato mosquito! I might just have to revisit the whole "memorize-while-you-sleep" philosophy! ;-)

 
At September 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing how a simple idea like this can benefit so many people. I used to sleep with my cd player on but the headphones would hurt my hears if i rolled over and then sometimes i the cord wouldn't reach my bed so i would disconnect the cord. But now with these headphones wrapped around i don't see there being any problems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home