Listen & Learn Music

has been moved to new address

http://www.listenlearnmusic.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Listen and Learn Music: Sunday Singalong: You Are My Sunshine

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Singalong: You Are My Sunshine


Happy Sunday! Singing this song (in any one of its many forms) always puts a smile on my face. Good thing, because I sing the calendar version in almost every music therapy session, both at school and in my private practice. People always ask me if I get tired of singing the same songs over and over, and while the answer is sometimes yes, this song does not fall into that category.

It does, however, fall into the category of the ever-popular "piggyback" song, which involves taking a familiar song and changing the lyrics, but keeping the melody the same. It's a common practice among music therapists and educators, and although I enjoy composing my own melodies, piggybacking does come in handy from time to time.

If you search the Listen & Learn archives, you'll actually find quite a few. What are your favorite songs to piggyback on? Please share them in the comments!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Lea Keating said...

Beautiful! Love Love Love your new lyrics. I sing this song to my kids but use their name instead of "dear" - they think it's written just for them. =D

 
At July 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Rachel Rambach said...

Thanks, Lea! And I know, it's so great how putting a child's name into a song makes it completely his or her own :)

 
At July 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM , Blogger sunflowr0803 said...

I'm loving the ukelele! I used the melody of "You are my Sunshine" for our pre-school graduation song. The kids love it! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home